Updates every other Sunday with new artwork and content from the working life of a freelance illustrator.

Sunday 31 July 2016

Felting Friday - the Cockapoo!

Today I threw together some wool and made a quick little felt figure of my mum's dog Maia. She's a cockapoo, but not a 'pure' one, so she's essentially a cocker spaniel that occasionally gets this massive wooly fluff around her legs. 

A gorgeous dog, but an absolute monster.





Needlefelted cockapoo, merino wool & wire


I used a wire frame for this one to handle the extra legs compared to the pigeon I made last time. It took a little while to get the hang of making the wool stick to the wire, and the legs were a bit uneven in length, but it's all learning for next time. Adding the little nose and lighter fluff around the legs was really fun and gives it that unique touch. 
Here's a picture of Maia as a comparison. You can't see it very well, but she's got a stripe of normal, darker fur down her back. We call it her racing stripe.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Claire Spiller, a freelance illustrator, vis-dev artist & storyteller based in Bristol, UK. I love animals, wild places, plants, handmade things, and creating characters and stories. My work often blends nature and fantasy, science and mythology. I also do bits of sculpting and needle felt occasionally as a hobby, and sell prints, original art and bits of arty goodness in my Etsy store!
Powered by Blogger.