Updates every other Sunday with new artwork and content from the working life of a freelance illustrator.

Friday 26 August 2016

Felting Friday - the Red Stag

I love needlefelting. 


I've decided to work my way through these big bags of wool I've amassed. It's really addictive. I find it even more satisfying than sculpting at the moment in the way that it's so tactile and you can see results really quickly. If I can balance this with my illustration and design work, as well as with my day job, I'll be a very happy lady.
Here's my project from the weekend, an unnamed stag. 
Needlefelted red deer stag, merino wool & wire


He's the biggest needle felt critter I've made so far. I used a wire frame (which in retrospect was not thick enough wire, he's a bit of a tripod sometimes because the weight distribution is a bit off) with pipe cleaners which was a learning curve and also means he's fairly poseable. I love how much I'm learning from each project, it's really encouraging.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Claire Spiller, a freelance illustrator, vis-dev artist & storyteller based in Bristol, UK. I love animals, wild places, plants, handmade things, and creating characters and stories. My work often blends nature and fantasy, science and mythology. I also do bits of sculpting and needle felt occasionally as a hobby, and sell prints, original art and bits of arty goodness in my Etsy store!
Powered by Blogger.