Updates every other Sunday with new artwork and content from the working life of a freelance illustrator.

Saturday 1 October 2016

Endangered Terrariums

Anybody following me on social media recently (I've really been trying to figure Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Tumblr out, it completely goes against my style) will have seen WIPs of this series scattered around over the last couple of weeks. I'm so happy to have them all done, guys! I've never done a series like this before so, as with everything I'm doing these days, it was a learning experience. 
These were inspired by the recent news that giant pandas are no longer classified as endangered. That's great news, that we can band together and get a job done when it comes to conservation. I was concerned that people, as they so often do in the age of the internet, would pat themselves on the back for doing the bare minimum and forget that there are an enormous amount of endangered animals that haven't been lavished with all the attention given to pandas. I also wanted to make MYSELF aware of these as well. 
The tiny ecosystem of the terrarium is an eden-like capsule for these animals where their natural habitats are disappearing around them. The pixel art reflects on a future where digital representations of these creatures will be all we have left of them. 
Endangered terrariums, A4, watercolour painting & pixel art

The series is available in my Etsy shop in a limited run as A6 postcards, but I also have a couple of each in A4 giclee prints that I'll be putting up for sale soon. After their gone I don't intend to print anymore. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Claire Spiller, a freelance illustrator, vis-dev artist & storyteller based in Bristol, UK. I love animals, wild places, plants, handmade things, and creating characters and stories. My work often blends nature and fantasy, science and mythology. I also do bits of sculpting and needle felt occasionally as a hobby, and sell prints, original art and bits of arty goodness in my Etsy store!
Powered by Blogger.